Untold Story - 1 : Is laughter the luxury that you can't afford?



When I was watching the above video, all I could think of was one person who was my roommate for about a year in my undergrad  college. There are several incidences that happened during that time which were coming to my mind with every word uttered during this video. Some of them I am going to mention here under. I remember those incidences so keenly because it was one of the most challenging periods of my life.

   Lets sail back in time a little. I was starting my undergrad college, kind of an aloof guy. I did have friends but not many.  And among those who were my friends almost no one was very close. Well, it all changed with time to such an extent that people were unable to stop themselves from telling how badly they hated me initially and how much they liked me now because of my new found Avatar. But I never realized how did the change came about in me, however I did feel few differences in my approach.

  This guy lets call him Mr X, was in my class but we had never talked till then, which was the case with almost every Mr/Miss X, Y or Zs except 4-5 select ones. I was introduced to Mr X by my existing roommate who was also in the same class. The day we met, I remember, Mr X talked whole evening almost till mid night about how unfair the life has been in his case. Although I used to be an aloof person but I was emotional as well. When I heard his life story, I was deeply pained by how much has he suffered along with everyone else in his life and how grateful I should be, having spent such an easy life myself as compared to his. And then, when he asked me to keep his telling as a secret, I was so touched that this person in first meeting itself has put so much faith in me that he told his best kept secrets to me, I felt honoured. Now, looking back at that moment I'm unable to decide who was dumber me or Mr. X.

  Now I had one more friend in my short list of friends. Time passed by and my list started growing. And one day some undesirable events happened and few of the students were expelled from the college which included my roommate and Mr. X's roommate as well. So, naturally being friends as well as classmates we decided to become roommates and that was the decision which gave me some of the hardest days of my college life. That one year made me realize that how mere words and facial expressions can turn your life into hell.  This was the time which tested my adaptability skills, which I didn't know existed.

  Every time, barrage of complaints from small to big to giant. Initially, I thought, maybe with time I will be able to adjust, so I tried listening to those complaints and put efforts in getting rid of them. One complaint was that I woke up too early and made noises in the room which disturbed his sleep. I started leaving the room the first thing with my daily stuff in the morning and come back later. Then came a new complaint that I slammed the door too hard in the morning while going out which disturbed him in sleep, I started taking 5 minutes time to just close the door so that it wouldn't make any sound.

  And after sometime I started ignoring small regular complaints like fan, bulb etc. Then one day came a big one. In the night he asked me something about his charging laptop, I was almost sleeping, I thought he said that switch off the charging pin and so I did. The next day, he told me almost with a weeping face that he specially asked me not to switch off the charger. He made such a big scene and remembered all the villeins from his past life (which was the secret that he shared with me the first time we met) and compared them with me. I was infuriated. But I said sorry to calm him down.

  Every time for the smallest of the reasons he looked back on the darkest periods in his past and made the surrounding scene very repelling. His facial expressions were the worst. I was able to tolerate everything but the face that he made over negligible problems or things which no one would categorize as problems. Later, I came to know that the secret story of his life which I thought only I had the privilege to know was his opening statement with almost every friendship that he ever started in that college. Technically, that was very necessary for anyone to be his friend because all the times he made references from the darkest time that ever existed in his life.

  In the process of trying to adjust with him, I honed my acting skills very much. First I started ignoring his negative facial expressions and usual whining but when that wasn't enough, I started acting as if I cared. But truly, from the bottom of my heart I had realized how shallow his stories and every word he uttered was and I never cared, not only there was nothing worth caring but also because I am a careless guy. And this was a situation where carelessness was nothing less than a boon for me.

  Once he was weeping because he though I was deceived him by starting a project with few other friends of mine who were his friends too by the way. The project was something which he openly didn't like and didn't wanna work on but ignoring that fact he became so angry that he wept in front of me. I wanted to laugh but I didn't. I acted like I always did in front of him but better this time and consoled him by saying sorry, making almost equally weepy face.

  One thing that I understood about myself was that how eager I was to get rid of the negativity and fuss around me. I always knew that I was candid and never thought that I would act to satisfy someone so that the peace is maintained in surrounding. Unknowingly, this person gave me several great lessons in my life. I wouldn't say that he was a bad person but I also would not defend him as well. I am not going to say that I wrote this post for the greater good. The fact is that I criticized him on facts in this post just because it was fun to me. Now it is on him (in case if he reads it which is very unlikely) to decide whether to use my factual criticism for betterment or just for whining.

Can he afford the luxury of laughter?

There are several such Mr/Miss Xs around us and also there is a little bit of Mr./Miss X inside us. All we have to think of, is how to make the luxury of laughter affordable.       

Comments

  1. Unbosoming all your loathe and dislike for the antagonist by documenting it here. That was quite a story mister and an applauding work. Although i enjoyed it, but nothing new in that, world is sprawling with such deceptive knuckleheads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an extremely smart written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to learn extra of your useful information. Thank you for the post. I will certainly return.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment